Xref format

Katsuhiro Kondou Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org
Fri Dec 20 10:35:36 UTC 2002

In article <ylwumhzyhy.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu>,
	Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote;

} > Looking through newnews.c when it parses Xref lines, it splits on `:'
} > *or* `/' when stripping out article numbers. Where's the `/' usage come
} > in? I'm guessing its some ancient alternative for `:'?
}
} If so, it's a new one on me.  Katsuhiro, do you know?

That comes from how newnews was realized.  Before
2.3, there were two different spool methods.  That
was determined by 'storageapi' in inn.conf.  For
traditional(storageapi set to false), newnews was
implemented by searching history which includes
all crossposted article file name.  That was
represented like 'news.software.nntp/10000'.  OTTH,
the case of storageapi set to true, newnews was
implemented by parsing overview data.

Now, traditional was gone, and '/' should be able
to be dropped.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou