user authentication and access

Rene Tschaggelar tschaggelar at dplanet.ch
Sun Dec 29 20:16:59 UTC 2002

On one of the later inn versions :

We'd like to have one of multiple newsgroup to have restricted
access, while the others should be unrestricted.
We therefore planned to have a common username/password for
just this newsgroup.
Experiments however showed that this only appears to work
with newsreaders that send the username/password ahead without
being requested, ahem Outlook express works, whereas Netscape
does not.

The problem appears to start when the server is called first.
Since it does authentication before access, and not all
newsreaders are able to display the usernamee/password dialog,
these newsreaders won't see this group.

Netscape is said to cope with authentication, but that is said
to apply for the whole server with all groups then.

I'm somewhat confused to put it mildly.
Did we overlook anything ?

Rene