user authentication and access

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Dec 30 03:25:12 UTC 2002

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> I mean, even without having looked at the code recently, I can imagine
> what the relevant bits look like.  Unless I'm missing something, it
> would really be quite trivial.  And it seems like it might be useful to
> people here and there.

Yeah, you're right, it would, since it would let people force
authentication for particular groups and still have the groups show up in
the active list, so the news reader will still try to send GROUP and get
the 480 reply.

Sure, if anyone wants to implement this, it's cool with me.  The value of
view should probably just default to the value of read if not given.