Feeding the Monster.. or how do I get it to progergate non local groups?

Darian Lanx david at uptime.at
Wed Feb 6 13:21:24 UTC 2002

Hello mailing list.

I apologize for simply rushing in and asking questions, without providing some
answers to others first, but I am growing desperate.
We are trying to setup a small news site for a customer, since he cannot
afford a PUSHH or POLL feed from a newsprovider, he has been given permission
to suck the news from his providers news server, as one would with a news
reader.
I am no inn guru and so I spent a lot of time reading web pages and
documentation, I managed to set the daemon up correctly, it runs without error
and it accepts local messages, displays them just fine, but it does not
display any incoming messages, nor does it seem to want to send messages.

The setup looks like this:

from newsfeeds config file:
silfeed:!junk,!control*,!local*:\
        Tf,Wnm:silfeed
from nntpsend.conf
silfeed:news.sil.at:180m:-t 180

(news.sil.at is his providers news server, there is no special access set for
the demon running on the local machine, it is simply allowed to "POST" news)

The output of ctlinnd feedinfo silfeed
silfeed:        file open fd=16, in mem 0
        Channel created Feb  6 14:01, last active Feb  6 14:01

and the file really exists, it has the right permissions too
ls -la /var/spool/news/outgoing/silfeed
-rw-rw-r--    1 news     news            0 Feb  6 13:56
/var/spool/news/outgoing/silfeed

I have subscribed the server to carry alt.test, whenever I post a message to
alt.test, i Can see it locally just fine. But (testing on another, public news
server) I cannot spot the message being propergated (I am testing on
news.sil.at, so it would be the immideate upstream to my server..).

I am running out of ideas as to what I am doing wrong there. Would it be
better to use infeed? and if so, is there any comprehensive documentation on
this, maybe a howto, the man files are excellent, but really do ask a lot to
be understood.

The incoming news is another problem. Since news.sil.at does not PUSH the news
to his server, how do I pull it from the server? I have the following entries
in my incoming.conf:
incoming.conf:

peer ME {
  hostname:         "localhost, 127.0.0.1"
}

peer SIL {
        hostname:       "news.sil.at"
        max-connections:        5
        patterns:       !local*,!misc*,!alt.binaries*
        streaming:      false
}

Do I have to use a program, such as nttpget to inject the messages locally?
My active file is only holding those newsgroups I wish to see propergated, the
history is up to date.
I am using timehash for storage,s ince this is a really small site and
buffindexed for the indicies.

I have mainly read over the man pages, as well as:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/nag2/x18326.html
and
http://web.inter.nl.net/users/Elena.Samsonova/unix/INN/v2.3/implementation.htm
l#Small_Single_Server_with_Feeds

If there is any other, or better documentation, please let me know. Thank you
for your help in advance.

M.f.G

-d