Rewriting of From lines

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Feb 19 19:17:13 UTC 2002

On 18 Feb 2002, Mikael Cardell wrote:

> Someone asked me for a feuture that I couldn't find in the standard
> INN distribution, so I whipped something together and added a new
> option to inn.conf. You set it just like 'nnrpdauthsender', like this:
>
>   nnrpdauthfrom: true
>
> and then nnrpd will rewrite the From: line in incoming messages
> depending on what it knows about the user from AUTHINFO and a small
> passwd like file.

Hrm.  Interesting.  Things like this tend to get incorporated into the
CURRENT (2.4 prerelease) tree, though; see the HACKING file for more
information.

(Are people interested in this feature?  If so I can apply it to CURRENT
even if the author doesn't want to.)

Some suggestions:

- you should document what happens if there is no authentication
  information in the inn.conf manpage

> I wrote a password authenticator to go along with this scheme and
> called it mcpasswd. You use it just like ckpasswd, but it can do
> more.

- What more does it do?
- If you port this to CURRENT, you can use authprogs/libauth.h and
  save yourself a lot of trouble.

> I also wrote a Python script, addnewsuser, to add users to the
> passwd file.

- Can you make this take the name of the file as an argument?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org