[NEWBIE]: Sample Configuration Files and Help with NewsFeeds

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Feb 26 15:41:48 UTC 2002

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Sundaram Divya-QDIVYA1 wrote:

> Are there any examples or samples of configuration files
> that I can use to sanity check my work? I would prefer actual
> working versions - not ones that should work in theory.

You realize that that INN includes a bunch of sample files, right?

> My server seems to be up and running, but it does not seem to
> be able to send or receive news posts to other peer servers.
> Where in the log files do I go to try and see what the problems
> could be?

Uh...for sending, look in the "news" log file (find the Message-ID of an
article in question, look at the peers listed on the right of that line),
for incoming try looking in the "news.notice" log file.

> Also, I had a question on performing backups. We would like to
> backup our internal newsgroups ... how can this be done?

What is it you're trying to accomplish?  Just paranoia in case of
something awful, or do you really want to be able to easily restore on
short notice?  (For the first case you just need the articles, for the
second you need a snapshot of the history and overview databases as well.)

> Finally, is there any way to preserve the article numbering
> from my old server to the new one?

   Linkname: Feeding all articles on a server to another serve

(note the bit about "xrefslave")

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org