My news server isn't downloading any news

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Jan 15 03:36:05 UTC 2002

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Chris Davis wrote:

> I'm running the newest stable release, 2.3.2, and it's not pulling down
> very many headers at all.

Note by the way that there are the STABLE nightly releases which you can
get off the ftp site (the future 2.3.3, essentially).  I don't think
that's your problem though.

> From what I can tell, the server is accepting news, but when I update
> the groups list only a few groups show to have articles.  After updating
> the group itself, nothing shows up except articles I've posted myself.

Well, INN does not download news on its own.  So you're getting news in
one of two ways:

1. you have someone feeding you
2. you're using a program to "suck" news off of another server

you ought to be able to tell by looking at incoming.conf (if there's
anything other than the local machine listed, it's probably 1).  Then
there are two potential problems:

A. the articles are being rejected/refused by INN (you can check this by
   examining ~news/log/news and seeing if there are many many lines with
   " - " in them)

B. the articles are never making it to INN

To fix A, you should look at the reasons listed in ~news/log/news and see
what's wrong (probably incoming.conf misconfiguration).  To fix B, in case
1, you need to contact your peer; in case 2 you need to examine the
configuration of your other program.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org