cnfs + rawdevice + Tru64

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 18 18:44:07 UTC 2002

Xavier <xavier at rootshell.be> writes:

> I searched thru the list archive but found nothing regarding my problem...

> I need to run innd on a Tru64 5.1 server and for performance I would
> like to use cnfs over raw device. Possible with Tru64? Any advice?

> When I start the innd, I receive:

Those error messages look *very* similar to the error message that you get
on Solaris if you don't exclude the first cylinder of the disk.  Raw
device access then overwrites the partition table and messes up the disk.

Try excluding the first bit of the disk from the slice that you're using.

If that doesn't work, the other possibility is that Tru64 simply doesn't
allow this.  In order for CNFS on raw partitions to work, the operating
system has to support mmap of raw partitions.  Not all of them do; in
fact, only Solaris and Linux+patches are confirmed to work with this the
last time I checked.

You may need to create a large file with dd and then point CNFS at that;
it's not all *that* much slower.