mail2news problem

Steven L. Sesar ssesar at mitre.org
Fri Jan 18 20:48:48 UTC 2002

I have a strange problem here. We recently rolled out a new reader
server, which is running INN 2.3.2. As a precautionary measure, we left
the old reader on line, getting fed external groups from the transit
server and local groups from the new reader. There is no master/slave
relationship between any of the servers. Message-ID's are the same on
each reader.

The problem is if I send an article to local.group on the new reader, it
shows up in the spool, news,notice reports that it was posted, but when
I point my newsreader to the new server, I don't see the new article
unless I unsubscribe and re-subscribe. And, mail2news bombs with:

Jan 18 14:51:19 newslocal sendmail[26212]: [ID 801593 mail.info]
g0IJpJ126211: to="| /news/bin/mail2news -n mitre.sys.mac" ,
ctladdr=<mitre-sys-mac at newslocal.mitre.org> (1/0), delay=00:00:00,
xdelay=00:00:00, mailer=prog, pri=30204, dsn=5.6.0, stat=Data format
error

When I point my newsreader to the old server, it shows up just fine.