wrong entries in news.notice file

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Jul 5 11:33:05 UTC 2002

In article <002901c21fa3$c8baa280$703715a5 at homecomputer>,
kajan <kajan at singnet.com.sg> wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I have some wrong entries is my news.notice file as follows:
	[...snip...]
| The above lines are shown in daily usenet report.
| It looks that the begining of the above sentences are truncated.
|
| Also following lines are shown under th heading "Newsgroup request counts (by category)"
| in daily usenet report.

If you mentioned your system I missed it in a quick read. One possible
cause of this is a syslog problem, although that seems unlikely. Still,
it's a high volume log, and if you're running a system which allows
buffering of the log (like Linux) you might turn it on.

Second thought, do you see other random lines in that log also mangled?
That would really point to syslog problems. Do you have first halves of
lines with date info then appearing in the middle of the line? Is your
machine crashing many time a day (on many systems that will give a bad
line per crash).?

Tell us more time.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>