INN throttling problem?

inn-workers at 2bb49e3f.mozone.net inn-workers at 2bb49e3f.mozone.net
Tue Jul 23 14:27:30 UTC 2002

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 09:41:34AM -0400, Lou Rabon wrote:
> Jul 23 00:03:08 cheetah innd: tradindexed: could not open
> /var/spool/news/overview/c/c/control.cancel.DAT: Permission denied

It looks like your permissions are set wrong on the spool and/or
overview directories.  Take a look at your spool/overview and spool
directories to make sure they are owned by user news and grouped
by user news as well.  It probably wouldn't hurt if you were to do
something like chown -R news:news /news/spool  or whereever your
spool resides.

> Now when I try to check news, etc, I get:
>
> Jul 23 09:13:46 cheetah nnrpd[3021]: 65.1.2.3 rejected Permission denied
> writing creating overview file -- throttling

More permissions problems?  how are you starting innd anyways?
you should be using rc.news via this method:

# su - news
$ /news/bin/rc.news start

And if you need to shut it down, instead give rc.news a 'stop'
argument.

If you are doing the above, then another likely reason is that
your innd/inndstart permissions are screwed up.  They should look
like:

-r-xr-x---  1 news  news  1107490 Jul 14 04:15 /news/bin/innd
-r-sr-x---  1 root  news   121042 Jul 13 04:30 /news/bin/inndstart

You should also make it a habbit to run the /news/bin/inncheck
proggie (after new installs/upgrades/etc) to make sure your other
files and/or directories have sane permissions etc.

> I'm sure restarting the server will fix it, but I fear I may have this
> problem all the time.  The archives have some mention of this, but no
> fix

Again, this is a permissions related issue, something quite commonly
overlooked by people.  I could have sworn I recalled the FAQ having
something about this a while ago, but then again I'll admit I haven't
looked at it in a few years :)

-mohan