OVDB crashing on db->put with BerkeleyDB (was ovdb.c warning with INN 2.3.3 and BerkeleyDB)

Antoine Delvaux antoine.delvaux at belnet.be
Wed Jun 5 12:52:25 UTC 2002

On 2002.06.04 14:34 Alex Kiernan wrote:

> Antoine Delvaux <antoine.delvaux at belnet.be> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > When trying to compile INN 2.3.3 with BerkeleyDB 3.3.11 we've got the
> > following warning :
> >
> > gcc -g -O2 -I../include   -I../../include -I..
> > -I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3//include -c ovdb.c -o ovdb.o
> > ovdb.c: In function `ovdb_open_berkeleydb':
> > ovdb.c:697: warning: passing arg 2 of pointer to function from
> > incompatible pointer type
> >
> > Nevertheless, INN compile fine.  But as we are having trouble with INN
>
> > crashing very often and leaving the overview DB not in a clean state,
> > we were wondering if this warning could indeed be a problem.
> >

> Crashing or hanging? If its hanging its sounds like its the (known?)
> problem with the mutex handling going wrong.

Well, crashing.

Here is what it is found in the log (crash last hour...) :

Jun  5 14:09:39 naxos innd: [ID 200958 news.error] OVDB: add: db->put:
Invalid argument
Jun  5 14:09:39 naxos innd: [ID 508530 news.error] SERVER cant store
overview for @03024348554E4B36350000141E8800000003@

What is quite strange is that we were having this server running very
fine during nearly a year, and since a few weeks the crashes are getting
very recurent (one every two days !).  So we're really considering
switching to another solution.

> I did start digging into it, but really got nowhere (and we're now
> running tradindexed[1]) so I stopped looking. Solaris and ovdb seem to
> be the common factor.
>
> [1] with a full feed - we must be mad!

So our other solution semms not being in a different overview storage
method.  We have the choice of switching to another platform on another
box (Linux...?) or to another software (Diablo ?).

Anyone have clues how to solve this OVDB problem ?

Antoine.

--
http://www.belnet.be                              Tel: + 32 2 790 33 33
BELNET Service Support Team                       Fax: + 32 2 790 33 34