nnrpd & NEXT trouble

Pavel V. Knyazev pasha at surnet.ru
Wed Jun 5 15:32:56 UTC 2002

From: "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2002 9:59 PM
Subject: Re: nnrpd & NEXT trouble

> On Thu, 30 May 2002, Pavel V. Knyazev wrote:
>
> > 211 47976 833479 881853 alt.binaries.sounds.mp3
> > next
> > [................NNRPD HANGS UP HERE FOR 60 SECS...............]
> > 223 842922 <gic5fuk1bgpc8i59q1i8sfree6asucsas1 at 4ax.com> Article
retrieved;
> > reque
> > st text separately.
>
> Is nnrpdcheckart in inn.conf true?  If so, I bet that's the problem -- try
> attaching to nnrpd with gdb and seeing if it is frantically opening and
> closing articles to make sure they exist.

I've disabled almost everything, that could cause the server slow down,
right after installing INN. That's why nnrpdcheckart is false.

> I don't have a good solution; I never had this problem until relatively
> recently, and it seems to have started suddenly despite the number of
> articles in my never-expiring groups growing at a steady rate.  I had to
> disable nnrpdcheckart, which is a user-visible change in trn (lots of
> "skipping unavailable article" messages while reading), for lack of any
> better ideas.

Not good :-(
Since that day i can't read some newsgroups with a large number of articles.
My software issues the 'next' command and waits only about 60 secs
and there's no way to change this timeout interval, it just closes the
connection
and reopens another one issuing 'next' once again ... and so on ...

I was curious to see what's really happening there.
Ha, NOTHING interesting! No disk I/O,
nnrpd just sits silently eating a lot of CPU time.

Any ideas?
How to find out what's wrong with my INN?
Any suggestions are welcome!

--
Pavel