huge news system architecture

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Fri Mar 1 01:58:12 UTC 2002

On Feb 25, Katsuhiro Kondou <Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org> wrote:

 >}  >should be already gone.  I've considered a storage method
 >}  >which utilizes remote server thru nntp, but I couldn't
 >}  >reach good way to expire overview data in reasonable time.
 >} What's wrong with processing cancels?
 >It should be fine if canceling message only by SMcancel.
 >How does it know deleted messages manually or by system
 >crash?
It does not. People using this kind of setup must understand that some
things will not be possibile anymore. I think it's better to be limited
in doing borderline things like this than having to use diablo because
INN is not suitable at all for distributed use.

 >And it's necessary to consider history/overview recreation
 >from the remote spool thru nntp.  I dont't think it could
 >be done in reasonable time.
Why not? You just have to feed again the headers, this is what diablo
people do all the time.

--
ciao,
Marco