Think I found a bunch of the makehistory problem

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Mar 10 18:38:59 UTC 2002

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:

> After a lot more debugging, I found an off-by-one error in the repacking
> code

Ooh.

I actually wanted to rebuild everything (newsreading has gotten very slow,
and I think it's overview's fault) anyway, I'll try that on 1.3 GB of
text-only gradspool and see how it goes).

By the way, I think the weird errors in syslog for this (IIRC, we were
seeing "Can't pack group, no such file or directory") are indicative of a
larger coding issue.  I haven't looked at the overview code, but in
history/ we sometimes return NULL/false to indicate an error but don't set
errno.  However, in the parent code, we log that error and thus get
whatever garbage happenned to be in errno.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org