Load average throttling in nnrpd

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Mar 10 21:32:57 UTC 2002

nnrpd currently supports load average throttling (albeit just with a
#define in config.h that defaults to 16) using some old and crufty code
that I doubt works on a modern system except maybe for HP-UX due to
earlier work by Heath.

The systems that *most* people are using (Solaris, Linux, *BSD) all have a
getloadavg() function that does exactly what we need for load checking
without having to do all the ugly stuff that's needed by the current
nnrpd/loadave.c implementation.  Note that the current implementation also
always requires opening /dev/kmem, so it won't work without special
privileges.

I'd like to replace all of the current code with code that just calls
getloadavg if available, and which doesn't do load average checking if
getloadavg isn't available.

Does that sound okay to everyone?  Is anyone not on one of those three
platforms actively using this function now with an nnrpd with /dev/kmem
writes and would miss it?