Problem with In-Reply-To in overview.fmt

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 12 20:18:00 UTC 2002

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi at gnus.org> writes:

> I'm running a mail-to-news gateway, which means that one has to use
> the In-Reply-To header to get proper threading.  (Many mail clients do
> not generate a proper References header.)

> So I've been putting

> In-Reply-To:full

> in my overview.fmt file.  It worked fine in INN 2.2.2, but then I moved
> the spool to a machine that has INN 2.3.2 installed, and it no longer
> includes the In-Reply-To header in the NOV headers.

> Other "optional" headers work as expected (say, Keywords), but
> In-Reply-To does not.

> Anybody got any ideas>

You should have gotten a logged error message, looking at the code.  The
current implementation of INN's header parsing only works with headers
that the parsing code knows about, and In-Reply-To isn't on that list.
It's a serious frustration with that code right now (it also affects the
Perl filter), but we've not gotten a chance to fix it.