MMAP vs READ/WRITE (fwd)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 14 18:09:24 UTC 2002

Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> writes:

> This was on the LKML, and it seems to have some possible application to
> what is (should be) done in INN on Linux.

Hm.  Does Linux have madvise?  We use it in some places to tell mmap that
we're planning sequential reads to try to tell the operating system what
buffering strategy to use.

Most of the uses of mmap in INN are random reads and random writes, which
is where mmap does wonderfully if the whole file can fit into memory and
degrades to no slower than read per that experiment.