parallelization and the storage manager

Ben Rosengart br+inn at panix.com
Fri Mar 22 17:06:36 UTC 2002

I know that overview and history rebuilds don't happen often, but
when they do, they take a loooooooong time.

They seem to be entirely I/O-bound.  It hurts me to look at my ten
disks full of news and see that one is at 100% utilization while the
others, and the CPU, are almost completely idle.

So it would be cool if makehistory could read more than one disk at a
time ... except that it's going through the storage manager, so it
doesn't know from "disks".

Could the storage manager be modified to make parallelization
possible? Is this a useful direction?  I'm not volunteering to make
this happen, so feel free to tell me to screw off, but maybe someone
wants to take this idea and run with it.

--
Ben Rosengart     (212) 741-4400 x215

1. A robot may not injure entertainment industry profits, or, through inaction,
   allow entertainment industry profits to come to harm.     --Matt McLeod