A check that would be desirable for expireover, etc.

figmentality rone at ennui.org
Sun Mar 31 02:45:14 UTC 2002

Jeffrey M. Vinocur writes:
  On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, Joe St Sauver wrote:
  > I recently accidentally ran expireover as root while debugging
  > some other issues, with the result that root soon owned
  > all the tradoverviews files, INN throttled, etc. Recovery is
  > obviously no big deal thanks to chown -R, but still...
  Actually, that's not always true -- it's a common newbie mistake to do
  something like the initial makedbz as root, realize the mistake, and chown
  the entire tree to news, including the binaries which need to be SUID.
  So this is a potentially good idea.
  I'm not sure how best to do it, though.

Would a setgid-news flag on makehistory take care of it?  Please note
i've only put a modicum of thought into this idea...

rone
--
Constancy of the speed of light is a conclusion, yes it is a conclusion based
on nonconvincing, irrational assumptions. WHAT IS LIGHT?! Whose light? From