configuring reader server

kajan kajan at singnet.com.sg
Mon May 13 16:50:40 UTC 2002

Hi all,

I have one server (server1) for receiving & sending articles to upstream
news provider & to store all the articles.

I have two reader servers & I have configured them to mount the
/usr/local/news & var/spool/news volumes from the server1.

Do anybody know how to configure this two servers as reader servers?
(I am using Redhat 7.2 to with INN 2.3.3)

I have copied the nnrpd file from /usr/local/news/bin to /usr/local/etc &
created a file "nntp" under /etc/xinetd.d with the following contents:

service nntp
{
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = news
        server          = /usr/local/etc/nnrpd
        server_args     = -D
        disable         = no
}

I restartted the xinetd but I am not able to telnet to 119 port.

What is server_args  I have to put. In INN 1.7.2 we put -S followed by fully
qualified domain name of the innd server.

Also is putting the following line in syslog.conf & restarting the syslogd
daemon is enough to activate the logging?

# INN News
news.crit
/usr/local/news/log/news.crit
news.err