configuring reader server

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon May 13 23:52:31 UTC 2002

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Mon, 13 May 2002, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
>
> > But some message indicating that "something is already listening on this
> > port" should be logged, and I think that should suffice.
>
> If it's running with privileges (to open a low port) then not only can it
> tell you something is listening, it can also tell you exactly what.

Sure.  It could also reconfigure your system so that everything just
works.  But honestly, just look at `netstat` output...a clear and correct
log message I think suffices.

> # nnrpd -D
> Process 830 (xinetd) is already listening on this port.

When xinetd spawns the nnrpd process (with the incorrect -D flag), it
should not be doing so with elevated privileges anyway.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org