makehistory silent failure in INN 2.3.3 on OpenBSD

Paul Coen pcoen at drew.edu
Sat May 18 13:34:08 UTC 2002

I'm really dead in the water here -- literally.

After moving to OpenBSD 3.0 and INN 2.3.3, I'm trying to generate a new
history file and overview data (tradindexed). INN will start, but
makehistory just exits silently -- no errors, nothing. File permissions
seem OK, and inncheck doesn't turn up anything obvious. (I did try running
it as root as well). innconfval is producing the correct paths to the
spool, etc.

I also tried running makehistory without creating the overview data -- same
problem.

I took a look at the process quotas set in login.conf and bumped them up a bit:

default:\
         :path=/usr/bin /bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/X11R6/bin /usr/local/bin:\
         :umask=022:\
         :datasize-max=700M:\
         :datasize-cur=512M:\
         :maxproc-max=128:\
         :maxproc-cur=64:\
         :openfiles-cur=1024:\
         :stacksize-cur=6M:\
         :localcipher=blowfish,6:\
         :ypcipher=old:\
         :tc=auth-defaults:\
         :tc=auth-ftp-defaults:

But so far, no change. The system (Compaq Prolaint ML370) has 640 megabytes
of RAM (570 or so free) and a gigabyte of swap space. The current history
file is empty -- makedbz did seem to work. to create the database files.

It does look like it's using mmap with msync based on the configure
feedback, if that makes any difference.