history write time oddity

Ben Rosengart br+inn at panix.com
Sun May 19 06:51:14 UTC 2002

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 12:44:06PM +0900, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:

> First, I recommend history, article spool, overview
> spool and log will be located in physically separated
> disks to get more performance.

Well, our setup seems to work well enough, even taking a lot of
articles.  The cost of having other partitions on the same disks
seems to be offset by the increased number of spindles.

> As to history write
> time you've seen, I suspect that can be fixed by
> 'makedbz -s `wc -l < history`'.

No, we tried that.  We also tried putting history on its own disk.
Neither of these had much effect; the only thing that really helped
was turning on tagged-hash.

--
Ben Rosengart     (212) 741-4400 x215

1. A robot may not injure entertainment industry profits, or, through inaction,
   allow entertainment industry profits to come to harm.     --Matt McLeod