after-the-fact filtering?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue May 21 23:55:36 UTC 2002

Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net> writes:

> Is there any tool to let me do the following:

> 1) Download all headers from a specific newsgroup
> 2) Run regex against said headers. On matches, extract the message-id's.

> I would like to feed the message-id's into 'ctlinnd cancel' so I can erase
> the recent attacks on n.a.n-a.e

If you're comfortable doing a bit of Perl programming, writing something
that would do that is pretty trivial in Perl with the Net::NNTP module.
You do a LISTGROUP call to get all the article numbers and then iterate
through them, grabbing the headers with HEAD, and using STAT to get the
message ID if you don't feel like parsing it out of the headers yourself.

I'm not aware of a pre-written script that does this, although that
doesn't mean that no such thing exists.