Innfeed coredumps

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 5 00:45:28 UTC 2002

Newsmaster Tiscali <inn at nacamar.de> writes:

> The machine has been up and running without any problems for 67
> days. Now, for some reason I don't understand innfeed dumps core just a
> few seconds after it started. INN restarts innfeed and it breaks down
> again.

> In the logfiles I have the following error-messages:

> In news.err and innfeed.log
> Oct 28 11:46:21 greed innfeed[2094]: assertion -- cxn->takeRespHead !=
> NULL -- failed in file connection.c line 3096

> I've had a look a that line in connection.c, but actually I don't have
> any idea. ;-)

Well, I'm not sure exactly what's causing this problem, but I can give you
some more background.  This error message indicates that you're getting a
437 response from some peer while innfeed doesn't think that you've sent
any articles to the peer.

Which peer it is you should be able to determine by running gdb on that
core file and the innfeed binary and looking at the value of
cxn->myHost->params->hostName.

I think the chances are that this indicates some sort of problem with one
of your peers sending the wrong NNTP responses, but it could be a bug in
innfeed somewhere.  innfeed is very picky about NNTP responses and doesn't
deal well with getting things that it doesn't expect; that really needs to
be cleaned up.