grephistory confusion

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Nov 5 04:25:12 UTC 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:
>
> > I just rebuild history (but not overview) from the spool.  I picked an
> > article at random and saved its Message-ID and storage token from before
> > the rebuild.  Now using grephistory on that Message-ID claims that it's
> > not in history, but if I grep for the token it definitely does exist
> > (and I can retrieve the article correctly using sm on the token).
>
> Sounds like the history indexes (generated with makedbz) are corrupted to
> me.  Either that, or the message ID hash wasn't done right.  A grephistory
> option to just print out the hash of the message ID would be useful here,
> so that you could grep the history file for that hash and make sure that
> part is working properly.

Ok, that sounded interesting.  Just committed to CURRENT.

And...the hashing seems to be being done correctly, but grepping history
manually for that hash is unsuccessful.  So makedbz is working fine, and
the -O part of makehistory is working fine, but somehow the bit that
generates the history database isn't??

This is getting weirder -- I just started taking tokens out of history and
feeding them to sm, and I'm getting something really crazy.  I have here a
token, which I got out of history, but the Message-ID found in the article
I get by calling sm on that token does *not* hash to what's on the line in
history that had the token!

(If that was so convoluted you can't follow it, let me know.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org