moving articles between CNFS buffers?!

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Wed Nov 13 20:49:21 UTC 2002

[Paul Reilly]:

>   Is there any way to move news from one CNFS buffer to another?
>   I'm running inn 2.3.3 on RH Linux 7.3 with CNFS buffers.
>   Initially my perl didn't do large file support, so I have lots of
>   2 GB buffers. I now have recompiled perl, and got a big new disk,
>   with nice big 10 GB, and 30 GB buffers. Is it possible to move the
>   articles from the 2GB ones to the the 30GB ones? I'd like to get
>   rid of the smaller buffers now - but without losing news..

well, the easy way is to keep the 2GB buffers in your cycbuff.conf,
but remove them from the metacycbuff definition.  new articles will
only use the cycbuffs listed in the metacycbuffs, but old articles
will go directly to the old and small 2 GB buffers.  after a few
months (depending on your cycle time and user expectations), you can
remove the old buffers alltogether from cycbuff.conf, and expire will
then remove them from history as well.

another option is to simply enlarge your existing small cycbuffs.  you
need to change the size in cycbuff.conf and in the header of the
cycbuff (ie. the first 108 bytes or so) -- I think there is a tool for
that, but I don't remember its name.  you want to change the length
stored as hex in bytes 88..103 and the free value in bytes 104..119.

Kjetil T.