disk space requirements

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Nov 18 11:44:42 UTC 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Paul Reilly wrote:

> With current news volumes, what would be the recommended amount of
> disk space for holding all the main 6 groups (comp.* sci.* etc) for
> a period of about 1 month on a server?

I'm not sure which six hierarchies you indicate; I find that I can store
about four days / gigabyte of the Big 8 (comp.*, humanities.*, misc.*,
news.*, rec.*, sci.*, soc.*, talk.*), appropriately spam/binary filtered.

> We're using CNFS buffers, and have 120 GB of disk space, but this is
> still too small. Articles are expiring too quickly - approx 10 days.

I think something is wrong -- are you using Cleanfeed to filter misplaced
binaries?  If so, have you updated it to handle yEnc?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org