Restricting crossposts

Sven Paulus sven at karlsruhe.org
Mon Nov 18 19:55:26 UTC 2002

Lisa Ungar <lungar at us.ibm.com> wrote:
>> There are a certain newsgroups where I  do not want to have any crossposts
>> allowed.

Are these groups within one hierarchy?

Then you could use the following filter function in your
${NEWSBIN}/filter/filter_innd.pl:

sub filter_art {

  foreach (split(/,/, $hdr{"Newsgroups"})) {
    if (/^myhier\./) {
      $a++;
    } else {
      $b++;
    }
  }
  # if you want to restrict crossposts between myhier.* and other
  # hierarchies use this:
  return "Don't crosspost to myhier.*" if ($a && $b);
  # if you want to restrict crosspost within myhier.* use this
  return "Don't crosspost within myhier.*" if ($a > 1);

  return "";
}

Of course you can replace the regular expression by one which matches
group names (like /^(group\.name\.one|group\.name\.two)$/, etc.).

>> Is this possible to do in the existing newsfeed file using one of the
>> options in the innfeed program (eg. Gcount)?  or does one need to use a
>> tool named cleanfeed to restrict the crossposts?

Of course you could use cleanfeed for this, too, but it takes some
time to configure, so maybe using a self-written little perl filter
like the one above might be the easiest solution.

Sven