grephistory confusion

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Wed Nov 20 12:10:39 UTC 2002

"Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:

> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> > Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:
> >
> > > I just rebuild history (but not overview) from the spool.  I picked an
> > > article at random and saved its Message-ID and storage token from before
> > > the rebuild.  Now using grephistory on that Message-ID claims that it's
> > > not in history, but if I grep for the token it definitely does exist
> > > (and I can retrieve the article correctly using sm on the token).
> >
> > Sounds like the history indexes (generated with makedbz) are corrupted to
> > me.  Either that, or the message ID hash wasn't done right.  A grephistory
> > option to just print out the hash of the message ID would be useful here,
> > so that you could grep the history file for that hash and make sure that
> > part is working properly.
>
> Ok, that sounded interesting.  Just committed to CURRENT.

We should probably either extend the history API so you can get this
information from the underlying layer, or build a tool which is
intimate with the dbz based history API (like tdx-util) to answer the
question.

Actually I think I prefer the second as it keeps grephistory generic
and dbz-util (obviously) specific.

--
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc