INN configure path options

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Nov 24 22:22:51 UTC 2002

Kai Henningsen <kaih at khms.westfalen.de> writes:

> First, I assume it's known that all the traditional configure path
> options do exactly nothing. Not a problem, just unusual.

Yes.  I'm hoping to fix that at least in part at some point (unfortunately
many of them don't make any sense in the INN context, but mandir, libdir,
and the like could at least be used).

> Second, it seems I can *mostly* get everything configured right, except
> that lib-dir is used both for real C libraries (which ought to go to
> /usr/lib) and for a handful of other files (which really should go to
> /usr/lib/news instead) - innreport_inn.pm and inshellvars*. I'm willing
> to write a patch if you can tell me how it should be handled.

They should really to into /usr/lib/inn, I think.  I have no problem with
relocating them to $prefix/lib/inn from where they are now.

> Third, and not really connected to paths, there's something wrong with
> installation of libinnhist - libtool complains about relinking and
> refuses to install it. (At this point I should mention that I'm using a
> newer version of libtool, 1.4.2a, just in case it makes a difference
> (but I don't expect so) - ltmain.sh patched to accept the INN install
> options, of course). No such error with libinn or libstorage, so it's
> probably a simple Makefile bug, but I don't see it right now.

I don't know what's wrong with this one.

Note that the shared libraries aren't versioned properly and I'm not sure
I'd recommend that INN be built shared until we hammered down the shared
library interface.