Profiling nnrpd (was Re: Observation using trn-test76 and INN 2.4.0)

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Nov 28 06:42:52 UTC 2002

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Yeah, profiling would be great.  :/

Ok, I seem to have gotten things to build with -pg as appropriate.

(Note that although we name the main programs differently -- inndp,
nnrpdp, expirep, etc -- to indicate that they're built with profiling
support, in the minor directories -- frontends, backends, etc -- we build
with -pg but use the normal names.  Anybody who wants to tackle that, best
of luck.)

But I'm running into some very odd behavior.  The version built with -pg
just stops midway through an overview record and starts accepting
commands.  (I think we've seen this before.)  Below is the same sequence
of GROUP/XOVER/QUIT, once with regular nnrpd and once with nnrpdp.
Interesting, eh?

Can anybody else build with `make profiled` in CURRENT and see if you get
the same thing?

-------------------------
group news.software.nntp
211 1487 9550 15026 news.software.nntp
xover 1-
15026   Re: rfc1036     "Mongrel Mind" <Mongrel_Mind at Yahoo.com> Thu, 28
Nov 2002 06:00:24 GMT   <YhiF9.258567$vl.29334 at news.easynews.com>
<arnkbn$e1fe_002 at newsgroup.korea.com>
<arsb8d$ljgm2$1 at ID-80930.news.dfncis.de>
<LtqE9.965760$5e5.124658 at post-02.news.easynews.com>
<arv7bu$lrfmd$1 at ID-80930.news.dfncis.de>    3629     67      Xref:
news.litech.org news.software.nntp:15026
.
quit
205 .
-------------------------

group news.software.nntp
211 1487 9550 15026 news.software.nntp
xover 1-
13948   Re: NNTPCache - can I schedule "suck"ing        those who know me
have no need of my name <not-a-real-address at usa.net>  08 Oct 2002 13:05:57
GMT       <m1fzvhjd32.gnus at usa.net>
<1034061735.795479 at sentinel.local>      961    9
13949   Re: Lquit