Removing strippostcc

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Oct 5 21:47:43 UTC 2002

I'd like to remove the strippostcc option in inn.conf and all the code
related to it.  The description, from the man page, is:

     strippostcc
         Whether to strip To:, Cc:, and Bcc: headers out of all local posts
         via nnrpd(8).  The primary purpose of this setting is to prevent
         abuse of the news server by posting to a moderated group and
         including To: or Cc:  headers in the post so that the news server
         will send the article to arbitrary addresses.  INN now protects
         against this abuse in other ways provided mta is set to a command
         that includes %s and honors it, so this is generally no longer
         needed.  This is a boolean value and the default is false.

It's not particularly useful, but it's also mostly harmless... except that
it means that To and Cc are in the table of headers that nnrpd knows
about, which means that nnrpd rejects messages with multiple To or Cc
headers.  Such messages are reasonably common in e-mail, which means that
they have to be munged by mail to news gateways to get around this
restriction.

I switched my gateway over to IHAVE to avoid this, but I think it would
still be nice to remove this problem for the next person who's trying to
write a gateway.

Any objections?