PGP breakage with latest INN2 packages

Marco d'Itri md at Linux.IT
Mon Oct 7 18:53:43 UTC 2002

On Oct 05, Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:

 >> This problem cannot be fixed in any way in INN, sorry.
 >> When verifying a key, PGP outputs the name in the first UID, but GnuPG
 >> prints the ID of the key.
 >> This breaks the default control.ctl configuration for a few hierarchies,
 >> among them de.*, fr.* and uk.*. The INN documentation should be amended
 >> to warn users.
 >Could you give me more details on what goes wrong and what should be put
 >into the documentation?  I assume that this has something to do with keys
 >that have multiple IDs?
Yes. GnuPG outputs:

[GNUPG:] GOODSIG 7536EAB5D3033C99 <moderator at dana.de>

but PGP 2.x used to output:

Good signature from user "de.admin.news.announce".

pub  1024R/D3033C99 1996-05-18 <moderator at dana.de>
sig         D3033C99 1996-05-18   <moderator at dana.de>
uid                            de.admin.news.announce
sig         00F0D5E9 1996-05-21   [User ID non trovato]
sig         2246421D 1996-05-20   [User ID non trovato]
sig         39F37F5D 1996-05-18   [User ID non trovato]
sig         D3033C99 1996-05-18   <moderator at dana.de>

As you can see, the key has an extra UID and PGP shows it instead of the
one in the key.

--
ciao,
Marco