SUMMARY: makedbz fail on Tru64 4.0f and stuff...(INN 2.3.3)

Adam Bentley ccx009 at coventry.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 15:26:06 UTC 2002

Well, someone advised I use ksh and do a ulimit -d unlimited first. Did
this and the command ran fine. I assume the the history file is of zero
size at the present and that the command completed successfully. If what
is below does not seem correct please advise... otherwise I can move
forward and start to set up some feeds (well as soon as my Cycbuffs have
been made via all those lovely dd commands)....

$makedbz -i

$ls -l

-rw-r--r--   1 news     news           0 Oct  8 12:09 history
-rw-r--r--   1 news     news          43 Oct  8 15:16 history.n.dir
-rw-r--r--   1 news     news           0 Oct  8 15:16 history.n.hash
-rw-r--r--   1 news     news           0 Oct  8 15:16 history.n.index

regards,

Adam.

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Adam Bentley wrote:

> Hi all,
>       I have hit is a resource issue when setting things up...
>
> after I get a newsgroups and active file from my other server I run a
> makedbz -i to create the new history files I will be using. Problem is
> that makedbz fails as it cannot malloc sufficent space. Now I am guessing
> this is a ulimit/shell resource issue but I did the same on my 4.0d box
> (which has the same ulimit and sysconfigtab settings) and it worked...
>
> any idea what i need to tweak here?
>
> bash$ makedbz -i
> dbz.c:1287 Can't malloc 60000000 bytes: Not enough space
>
> bash$ ulimit -a
>
> core file size (blocks)  unlimited
> data seg size (kbytes)   131072
> file size (blocks)       unlimited
> max memory size (kbytes) 507536
> stack size (kbytes)      2048
> cpu time (seconds)       unlimited
> pipe size (512 bytes)    8
> open files               4096
> virtual memory (kbytes)  1048576
>

> and the only entry in sysconfigtab (added anyway is)
>
> proc:
>         maxusers = 256
>

> Machine is an Alphaserver 800 5/500 whith 512mb ram. The news storage is
> behind an HSZ70 (Raid 5, 2 partitions, 36gb for overview/software and s/w,
> 144gb for spool)
>
> yes I know they should be on different spindles rather than partitions on
> the same raidset and in a perfect world, I would be a millionare :-)
>
> comments welcome to me please, and I will post a Summary

>                                     	       /-\dam
> FLESH: Adam Bentley, Systems/Networking/Usenet, Coventry University. UK
> INET : A.Bentley at coventry.ac.uk
> 			#include <std/disclaimer.h>

INET : A.Bentley at coventry.ac.uk