[CURRENT-20021016] innfeed dumps core

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Oct 18 17:54:13 UTC 2002

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0210171322510.21051-100000 at puck.litech.org>,
Jeffrey M. Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> wrote:

| On 17 Oct 2002, Bettina Fink wrote:
|
| > #1  0x805e44b in responseTimeoutCbk (id=29, data=0x809e9d0) at connection.c:2547
| > 2547	  warn ("%s:%d cxnsleep non-responsive connection", peerName, cxn->ident) ;
| > (gdb) print peerName
| > $2 = 0x2 <Address 0x2 out of bounds>
|
| Haven't looked at the other stuff, but this is pretty funny looking.
| That's either severely data corruption of some sort, or we're making the
| incorrect assumption that malloc() zeros memory.

In practice it usually does, but good practice calls for using calloc()
in any case where you want zeroed memory. Some libraries keep a memory
pool, and after a malloc->free cycle the memory might not be cleared.
For this reason I also use cfree() when dealing with sensitive data. I'm
a devout fundamentalist paranoid.
--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc