ERROR: dbz.c(set): can't tag value 0x1000016 tagboth = 0xff000000

Sang-yong Suh sysuh at kigam.re.kr
Wed Oct 30 12:02:00 UTC 2002

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 08:29:26PM +0900, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
> I guess, this can often happen.  I think it still works
> for you.

Long time passed since I was dropped from inn-workers.
Now I'm almost ready to upgrade my mail server to a decent P4.

By the way, I guess, the "can't tag" occurs on inn-1.7.x and earlier versions
where the fuzzy offset technique is unavailable. Suppose that we have
a history file of size greater than 1GB and less than 2GB.

In this case, the history offset is represented by 31 bits, leaving
just one free bit.  However, the sign bit is used to indicate whether
the word is tagged or not. Therefore, there's no bit available to tag
the hash bits.

In inn-2.x, we have 4 more bits because of the fuzzy offset technique.
This means that "can't tag" can occur if the history size is greater than
16GB and and less than 32GB on a 32bit machine.

Dbz works without tag.  However, the history performance will be very
poor.  If you want to maintain such a huge history file, you'd better
switch to a 64bit machine or compile INN without --tagged-hash option.
--
sysuh