Rebuild the overview for a single newsgroup

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen larsi at gnus.org
Sun Sep 1 00:39:38 UTC 2002

> Outdated verison; that's the same thing that I fixed Friday.  :/

Wow.  :-)

Anyway, I should probably explain the weird thing I'm trying to do,
and you can hopefully tell me whether what I'm trying to do is
totally insane or not.

I want to rename newsgroups.

I know that this isn't generally possible in a "real" news context,
but for Gmane, which is primarily only single news server, it should,
perhaps, not be impossible.  (Tradspool is used.)  Here's what I've
currently done, renaming gmane.editors.emacs.vms to gmane.emacs.vms:

0) I stop the mail-to-news handling, so that no new articles are
   arriving.

1) I go through all the articles in gmane.editors.emacs.vms, and
   rename the Newsgroups headers from gmane.editors.emacs.vms to
   gmane.emacs.vms.  I do the same for the Xrefs headers.

2) I move the directory to .../gmane/editors/vms.

3) I rmgroup the old group and newgroup the new group.

4) I run tdx-util on the new new group.

5) I run "ctlinnd renumber gmane.emacs.vms".

The overview DAT file looks OK to me, and everything is owned by the
user news.  The active file looks OK.  But I can't select the new
group:

200 main.gmane.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.3.2 ready (posting ok).
group gmane.emacs.vms
211 121 1 121 gmane.emacs.vms
head 1
423 Bad article number

Any ideas what's happening?

(I know I'll have to rebuild the history file to get fetching by
message-id to work, but I'm hoping that can be done at a later
stage...)

   larsi at gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen