Thoughts on new overview

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Sep 6 01:40:19 UTC 2002

I've been running Russ's new overview for a bit now, feeding about a
gig/day through it.  Nothing catastrophic, and attempts to do nasty things
like kill -9 the server resulted in no detectable problems.

I haven't attempted to check if all of the articles present are actually
being listed in overview, but I have no reason to doubt they would be.

I've been playing around with the overview rebuilding just now, and did
find something worth mentioning, I guess.  I took the overview built by
INN as the articles appeared, and the results of rebuilding a particular
group, and diffed them.  The bytecounts of all of the articles have
increased.  For example (with newlines for readability):

-740	Re: How to break out of do until loops?
	ctcgag at hotmail.com
	06 Sep 2002 01:11:55 GMT
	<20020905211155.675$9I at newsreader.com>
	<3D778E02.8030901 at sequenom.com> <al83mn$j50$1 at nets3.rz.RWTH Aachen.DE>
	1806
	44

+740	Re: How to break out of do until loops?
	ctcgag at hotmail.com
	06 Sep 2002 01:11:55 GMT
	<20020905211155.675$9I at newsreader.com>
	<3D778E02.8030901 at sequenom.com> <al83mn$j50$1 at nets3.rz.RWTH Aachen.DE>
	1865
	44

Now, it that case, the difference appears to be remarkably similar to the
number of lines in the article.  However, that's not always true:

-739	Re: Help with SQL Please
	cp <cpryce at pryce.nospam.net>
	Fri, 06 Sep 2002 01:11:31 GMT
	<050920022016267120%cpryce at pryce.nospam.net>