CNFS block size

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Sep 9 21:40:56 UTC 2002

Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:
> On 9 Sep 2002, Alex Kiernan wrote:

>> What it won't change (and I suspect this is what you think it might) is
>> the size of the IO request issued - that will always be the size of an
>> article, just aligned to a CNFS_BLOCKSIZE boundary.

> Where does that "just aligned" get calculated?  (Is there any reason we
> can't add a compile-time parameter to adjust the alignment?)

Nope, you can change CNFS_BLOCKSIZE at compile-time (although note that it
invalidates old CNFS buffers).  I'm just not sure that it's going to do
that much good for the particular problem that you're talking about, since
the reads and writes still aren't going to be aligned in the disk block
sense (the beginning will be aligned, but the write will still be some
odd length).