PushIOvHelper errors

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 11 15:37:56 UTC 2002

Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> writes:
> On Wed, 2002-09-11 at 16:03, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> PushIOvHelper should be calling xwritev so that short writes are handled
>> internally.

> I wondered about that, then looked at the SSL case & ran away :(

The SSL stuff is a mess right now, with large #ifdef blocks scattered all
over the place.  We really need a cleaner layer of abstraction on top of
things so that we can contain some of that mess.  I may be able to work on
that sometime soon; I'm not sure.

In the meantime, though, I'd go ahead and fix the non-SSL case; it's not
clear to me that the SSL case actually has a problem.  It depends on
whether the OpenSSL SSL_write function can return partial writes.

Right now, the SSL code is throwing away all of the speed and memory gains
that we get by using writev in the first place, which is vaguely
frustrating; there must be some better way of handling that.