CURRENT build error

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 11 16:28:51 UTC 2002

Matus \"fantomas\" Uhlar <uhlar at fantomas.sk> writes:

> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `his.lo', needed by `libinnhist.la'.
> Stop.

That looks like you're trying to do a parallel build.  I can't get
parallel builds to work properly with recursive make and shared libraries;
make just isn't capable of expressing the appropriate dependencies
properly as far as I can tell.  You can push the deck chairs around on the
Titanic, and I spent a lot of time doing that on Monday and getting a wide
variety of different errors like this, but in the end the ship still
sinks.

Recursive make is evil.