INN documentation on the web

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 11 22:22:43 UTC 2002

I finished the extra bits of work that I had to do on my web page
generation stuff, and I'm now generating HTML versions of the INN
documentation that's already been converted to POD.  You can get to that
via:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/>

and in particular in:

    <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/>

I'll also be adding the various text documentation files in the INN source
tree.  There's no need to convert them to POD to get them in here; I just
haven't had a chance to do that bit of things yet.

There are still a few things that my scripts get wrong.  I know about the
breakage in the uwildmat docs and similar breakage in the newsfeeds
documentation and will try to fix that.  If anyone notices anything else,
please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Conversion of additional man pages to POD is great, and when I see those
go in, I'll try to add them to this page and set them up for conversion.

Currently, fixes are only picked up when I manually update my local CVS
tree and then regenerate web pages.  I'll try to do that periodically, but
there isn't anything fancy and automatic happening (well, apart from all
the actual HTML generation), so there will likely be some lag from time to
time.

Note that for documents like INSTALL that are normally processed using
pod2text, some of the markup that pod2text just throws away now actually
shows up in the final document, so if anyone wants to tweak that to make
it look nicer, please, have at it.  I'm hoping that this will make it
easier to review the documentation.

This isn't all that overwhelmingly useful for users since I only have the
CURRENT docs.  I'm planning on putting something similar up for 2.3, but
of course that will have only a limited subset of what's available for
CURRENT since more of 2.3 wasn't in POD.  I don't think it's worth putting
effort into converting old 2.3 stuff; 2.4's release isn't that far off.

For the short descriptions on the main documentation page, I mostly used
the one-line description in the man page, but occasionally they didn't
make very much sense.  I haven't gone back to fix any of the docs in the
repository; if anyone wishes to do that, please do.  Similarly, if you
think any of my short descriptions leave something to be desired, let me
know.

Any comments, feedback, etc. is very much welcome.