Posting problem in CURRENT

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sat Sep 14 18:52:14 UTC 2002

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, greg andruk wrote:

> Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
>
> > '441 437 Body of header is all blanks in "Sender" header'
>
> Well, on to the obvious question: has something changed in your posting
> software that would be including an all-blanks Sender: header?

Certainly not.  (Several of my users are also complaining, using assorted
software, and I can reproduce it with telnet issuing POST manually.)

I have nnrpdauthsender on, and that should in principle be generating the
Sender header.  I don't know why it would have different behavior now,
though.  The authentication information is definitely fine (I use ident on
localhost, authinfo elsewhere), because news.debug logging shows it being
used correctly to match readers.conf.

> the blank headers complaint has been in innd for a while now

I didn't actually try commenting out that check and seeing how the header
actually showed up, but I stuck some debugging in there and really does
look like the header is blank by the time it gets to innd.

> but I thought that nnrpd stripped such headers out at posting time.
> I'm guessing that it got a bit less chop-happy after the rewrite for
> long lines and ihave?

Not sure about this.

I can't see how it would interfere with nnrpdauthsender, though.

(Didn't think to try turning that off until just now, and I've already
reverted CVS to the end of May -- which is approximately what I was
running until last night's upgrade -- because I got tired of fiddling with
it when I have other things to be doing.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org