Licensing of ternary search tree code

"Miquel van Smoorenburg" list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Mon Sep 16 16:25:21 UTC 2002

In article <72n0qiggjo.fsf at demon.net>,
Alex Kiernan  <alexk at demon.net> wrote:
>I've mailed Peter (the author of same) privately asking him about the
>licensing and got a very helpful and prompt response that "You are
>free to do whatever you wish with it."
>Is that good enough that I can just drop the code into lib/ and start
>using it, or do I need to sort out a proper BSD style license with him
>(which I believe he'd be happy to do).

As a Debian maintainer I've dealt with this situation before.
Getting a BSD license on it would be great (without the advertizing
clause) but you _do_ need a license. Even a short textfile with
the date, name/email of the author, and the statement "this code
is in the public domain" would suffice. A short version of that
probably needs to be at the top of every source file as well.

Mike.

Reply to the list or to "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels at cistron.nl>