How do you make it work?

David T. Ashley dtashley at esrg.org
Tue Sep 24 23:29:58 UTC 2002

Rick,

First, you need to be sure that innd and innwatch are running.  Use

ps -Af | grep inn

On my system, this gives:

[dtashley at kalman dtashley]$ ps -Af|grep inn
news       985     1  0 Sep23 ?        00:00:52 /usr/local/news/bin/innd -p4
news      1321   986  0 Sep23 ?        00:00:17 /bin/sh
/usr/local/news/bin/innw
dtashley 11325 11240  0 19:30 pts/0    00:00:00 grep inn

Notice that "innwatch" is truncated--there is an option for ps to get more
columns if your paths are longer.

Notice that INND and INNWATCH are running on my system.

If they aren't running on yours, you need to reboot to see if that gets it,
and if not you need to look at the startup mechanisms, either rc.local or
System V startup mechanisms.

Then you need to modify the config files to do what you want.

Then you need to obtain yourself a newsfeed.  Do you have a newsfeed lined
up?  How will you obtain your newsgroup posts?

Dave.