Removing articles from the history file

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen larsi at gnus.org
Fri Sep 27 12:55:18 UTC 2002

I'm probably annoying you all with these queries that stem from me
using inn in a manner it wasn't meant to be used: As a somewhat
mutable storage for mailing lists.  What's amazing is how well suited
it actually is for Gmane.org: so far, I've been able to implement
just about anything I've thought of by (ab)using inn.

Which brings me to the present question: How to re-insert messages
into a group.

Here's the scenario: A mailing list has been added to Gmane, and has
been going for a few months.  The list admin then decides that the
Gmane interface is pretty nice as an archival storage, so could I
import the entire archive of the mailing list into the group?  Sure I
can, but that would mean that the earlier messages will get article
numbers that are numerically higher than the later messages that have
already arrived for the group, which would be less than optimal.

So this is what I would like to do.

1) Delete all the messages in the group
2) Delete all traces of these messages from the history file
3) Insert the entire archive into the group

The article numbers will increase from what they were before I
started the procedure -- that is, if the current message was number
1234, I would delete 1-1234, and the earliest message from the
imported archive would be article number 1235.  Which is totally fine
by me.

So my question really is this: Does inn have a command for removing a
line from the history file given a Message-ID (or lots of lines from
the history file given a list of Message-IDs)?  If not, can somebody
point me in the right direction as to how to implement this?

   larsi at gnus.org * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen