newsfeeds

David T. Ashley dtashley at esrg.org
Fri Sep 27 19:33:43 UTC 2002

Rick,

OK, you have a newsfeed server lined up.  That is all I wanted to know.
Because you are clearly a newbie (which is not a crime--everyone starts
there), I just wanted to be sure it was clear that the news did not
magically appear from somewhere on the Internet even if you have a
connection--you must have peer(s) arranged.

>I've been told I'll be wanting to setup a "pull" server (or pull feed?), as
>I don't want theirs trying to "push" me 50-85GB of data a night.  Does that
>sound correct?  All I want to happen is for my server to pull comp.* (if
>that turns out to be more crap than we want it may become comp.databases.*
>or comp.databases.pick) and post stuff that my users post if that makes
>sense.

You might want to try to convince them to set up a push feed with just the
wildcards you're interested in.  I've had no experience with a pull feed.  I
know there are add-ons like "sucknews" out there (literally, that is the
name of the product), but I've had no experience.  I'm sure, however, that
others have ...

A push feed will be simpler, if they'll allow it.

Dave.

DNEWS.SWBELL.NET will be my newsfeed server.  It's part of our T1 package.
 All I need to do is call them and tell them my news server is up and
running (whenever I make it that far) then I presume it just magically
happens.  My production server will live on the DMZ and have a public IP
address.  Aside from being firewall protected the NNTP side of it will have
to be secure as well.

I've been told I'll be wanting to setup a "pull" server (or pull feed?), as
I don't want theirs trying to "push" me 50-85GB of data a night.  Does that
sound correct?  All I want to happen is for my server to pull comp.* (if
that turns out to be more crap than we want it may become comp.databases.*
or comp.databases.pick) and post stuff that my users post if that makes
sense.

How's that?

Don't shoot the messenger,
Rick Reed