Recovery Help ...

divya at avnika.com divya at avnika.com
Wed Aug 6 02:56:22 UTC 2003

> divya at avnika.com writes:
>
>> Sorry to take up so much of your time.
>
>> I actually put the old history file back and ran 'ctlinnd renumber ""'
>> to renumber the active file. The active file seemed to be unchanged.
>
>> There is a group that claims to have 24K articles in it. When I select
>> it and ask to read the last 100, slrn immediate tells me that there
>> are no unread articles present.
>
>> At this point, I am completely not clear on what is actually going on.
>
> Well, your overview didn't get rebuilt, clearly.  Why, I don't know.
> Did you remove all of your existing overview database before you started
> the rebuild?

Yup. Sure did.

I restarted the makehistory - this time using an example listed in
the man page: "makehistory -e -O -F  -l 30000"

I get TONS of these:

makehistory: Can't write overview data
"@03045349580000000000002FB91800000002@"
makehistory: Can't write overview data
"@03045349580000000000002FC0E500000002@"

(I got 42739 of these before I aborted the makehistory).

So, any idea what could be causing this? The disk has plenty
of space (and available inodes):

sh-2.05$ pwd
/export/usr1/news/overview
sh-2.05$ du -sk .
299442  .

sh-2.05$ du -sk *
17593   a
57      b
98520   c
152     d
62      f
41550   g
2058    group.index
9       h
83262   m
3398    makehistory.log
1904    n
3       o
48      p
6956    r
41680   s
1689    t
478     u
18      v
4       w
sh-2.05$ df -i .
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1            8962048    8601 8953447    1% /export
sh-2.05$ df -k .
/dev/sdb1             34108086  16897242  15418795  53% /export

Thanks.

Divya